Cold chain management is the control and maintenance of storage temperatures to prevent product deterioration and bacteria growth, as well as to prolong shelf-life; it is the management of the real-time series of events that occur from seed to fork.
The cold chain combines all of the links between transport and storage
- From harvest point to transportation (refrigerated trucks)
- Transportation to production or shipping facilities
- Production/shipping facilities to distribution warehouses
- Distribution warehouses to foodservice operators' coolers
- Storage inside foodservice operators' coolers until time of plating