UPDATE SUMMARY: Week of November 23, 2015
November 25, 2015
Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) processors have successfully transitioned harvesting and processing equipment from the Salinas Valley, California to Yuma, Arizona. Green leaf, iceberg, and romaine markets continue to rise; abnormally warm temperatures and heavy rains during the planting phase have reduced yields. Open-market cauliflower prices have reached third-tier contract trigger levels; cold weather and rain in the Salinas Valley have limited growth and slowed production in Salinas, causing very tight supplies.
RSS Cauliflower Floret Trigger Levels
- Supplies will remain very tight through this week; all sizes are limited
- Open-market cauliflower prices have reached third-tier contract trigger levels; effective Monday, November 23 RSS Cauliflower increased to third-tier trigger pricing
- Cold weather and rain are limiting growth and slowing production in Salinas, tightening stocks
- Desert supplies are also limited from heavy rains during planting that have pushed back harvests and caused low yields
RSS Green Leaf, Iceberg and Romaine Triggers
- Stocks are extremely tight as growers transition from the Salinas Valley to the Arizona/California desert region
- Desert volume is low; abnormally warm temperatures and heavy rains during the planting phase have reduced yields
- The green leaf, iceberg, and romaine markets continue to rise; prices have reached first-tier trigger levels for green leaf and second-tier trigger levels for iceberg and romaine
- Effective Monday, November 23, prices for RSS salad items increased to first-tier and second-tier triggers (depending on ingredients in the blend)
- Despite tight supplies, quality remains good: mildew and wind burn are minor issues
- Expect prices to remain elevated
- Demand continues to exceed supply, however prices have peaked and are holding steady
- Supplies are expected to remain very limited; the market will remain elevated
- Markon First Crop Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available (in one-pound clamshells) and/or packer label supplies are being substituted due to quality problems and tight supplies
- Expect supplies to increase and prices to ease in December (once the Oxnard, California winter crop is in full swing)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.