UPDATE SUMMARY: Week of March 28, 2016
March 31, 2016
The domestic melon season will start in the Arizona/California desert region in May. Markon First Crop (MFC) Cantaloupe Melons will be available the week of May 2; MFC Honeydew Melons will hit the market during the week of May 9. Lime volume remains low despite good quality; expect tight supplies through mid- to late April. The Florida and Mexican strawberry seasons have ended; adequate stocks are being harvested in Oxnard and Santa Maria, California.
- Growers will harvest cantaloupes and honeydews in the Arizona/California desert region in May
- Westside melons (grown on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley stretching from Bakersfield to Turlock, California) will hit the market in July
- MFC Cantaloupe Melons will be available the week of May 2
- MFC Honeydew Melons will hit the market the week of May 9
- Industry volume will remain low as the winter season winds down
- Supplies are limited
- Quality is good, but as current stocks diminish, fruit will require more sorting for problems such as discoloration and scarring; large sizes (110- to 150- count fruit) are extremely limited
- Tight supplies and elevated prices will continue through mid- to late April
- The seasons in Florida and Mexico have ended; California fruit is plentiful
- Markets are slightly lower in Oxnard; Santa Maria and Salinas/Watsonville prices are steady to slightly higher
- MFC Strawberries are available
- The market is expected to continue inching up through Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 8
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.