UPDATE SUMMARY: Week of June 22, 2015
June 25, 2015
Seasonal transitions, high temperatures, and strong demand have resulted in rising bell pepper prices on both coasts; expect elevated markets for several weeks. Green leaf and romaine supplies continue to increase in the California growing regions; prices are easing. Cooler-than-normal temperatures have prevented typical iceberg growth and resulted in lower carton weights throughout the industry; expect steady prices into next week. Raspberry stocks are tightening due to harvesting transitions and inconsistent weather patterns.
- Seasonal transitions, high temperatures, and strong demand for the Fourth of July holiday are resulting in limited supplies of green, red, and yellow bell peppers
- Prices are rising on both coasts
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Green Bell Peppers are available in California, Georgia, and South Texas; MFC Red and Yellow Bell Peppers are available in California
- Expect elevated markets until supplies increase from new growing areas
Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine
- Iceberg prices have inched down over the last several days and should remain at current levels through the middle of next week
- Inconsistent temperatures over the past 10 days have delayed growth in summer lettuce varieties, creating inconsistent size and density as well as lowered carton weights throughout the industry
- Strong holiday demand could also impact supply levels
- Green leaf and romaine stocks continue to increase in Salinas and Santa Maria, California as well as regional areas; prices are easing
- Expect varying levels of quality over the next 10 days; mildew and insect pressure will keep green leaf supplies at average levels
- Raspberry stocks are extremely limited due to harvesting transitions and unfavorable weather conditions
- The market has been stable, but should rise over the next few weeks
- Demand exceeds supply; expect limited stocks through mid-July
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.