Rain in the Arizona desert growing region this past week has delayed harvesting and caused quality issues in commodities such as iceberg and tender leaf crops. Strawberry supplies remain tight in Coachella and Oxnard, California. Offshore cantaloupe volume has increased and prices have eased, however the honeydew market remains elevated as stocks are limited.
• Increased offshore supplies have decreased cantaloupe prices
• The honeydew market will remain elevated for the next several weeks
• Cantaloupe and honeydew quality is very good; sugar levels range from 11 to 14 Brix
• Honeydew stocks will begin to increase over the next two to three weeks when the spring season starts in Mexico
Mildew Pressure in the Desert Region
• Approximately .35 inches of rain fell in the Yuma, Arizona growing region this past week
• Field conditions were not significantly impacted
• Iceberg lettuce crops are exhibiting high quantities of mildew and mildew damage that will be difficult to completely remove from commodity and value-added lettuce packs
Price and Supply Forecast for the Desert Region
• Iceberg supplies are tightening; green leaf and romaine stocks will remain limited
• Iceberg prices are expected to climb into the mid-teens early next week; green leaf and romaine prices will remain elevated at current levels through next week
• Quality issues such as epidermal blistering and peeling persist in green leaf and romaine commodities; iceberg is beginning to show signs of mildew damage on outer leaves
• Volatile prices and tight supplies are predicted through the transitional period, which is approximately six to eight weeks away
• Markon First Crop Strawberries are available out of Coachella, California; Markon Best Available will be substituted as necessary
• Stocks remain limited out of the Coachella and Oxnard, California growing regions
• Prices are steady
• Light rain may cause water damage, bruising, decay, and mold in fruit from both regions
• Markon’s Valentine’s Day promotion starts Monday, February 2 and runs through Saturday, February 14
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.