UPDATE SUMMARY: Week of August 31, 2015
September 03, 2015
New crop Santa Maria strawberries are now available. Prices have eased this week due to weaker demand and improved quality. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has lifted the ban for cilantro grown in Puebla, Mexico (into South Texas), but industry supplies remain extremely limited.
- Limited supplies of new crop Washington Gala apples are available; new crop California Gala supplies are also on the market
- Prices are steady at lower levels
- Washington Markon First Crop (MFC) Gala and Golden Delicious Apples have just started shipping
- New crop MFC Granny Smith and Red Delicious Apples will be available next week; new crop MFC Fuji Apples will be on the market the week of September 14
- Extremely warm night temperatures have interrupted the artichoke plants’ ability to vernalize (or flower), delaying growth and maturity
- Overall volume has fallen as much as 50%
- Supplies will be 50% lower than normal for the next five to six weeks
- Small sizes dominate the crop; large sizes are extremely limited
- Limited quantities of Santa Maria new crop strawberries are on the market; Salinas/Watsonville supplies are ample
- Prices have eased this week due to weaker demand; quality is improving, but certain issues persist
- MFC Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available is being substituted
- Expect adequate supplies in Santa Maria by mid-September; the Salinas/Watsonville season is expected to continue through October
- The FDA has lifted the ban for cilantro grown in Puebla, Mexico (into South Texas), however most suppliers remain reluctant to ship from that area at this time
- Hot, humid weather in California and Baja, Mexico continues to reduce yields and tighten stocks
- More Mexican growers are expected to be placed on the green/approved list soon; industry supplies will be extremely limited until that time
- Over the next several weeks, more cilantro will enter South Texas, reducing West Coast demand and softening open-market pricing
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.