UPDATE SUMMARY: Week of April 27, 2015
April 30, 2015
Rain in Salinas, Santa Maria, and Watsonville, California slowed strawberry harvesting this week. Because cooler weather is expected next week, growth will be inhibited and color will be lighter than normal. Strong Mother’s Day demand and tight supplies are resulting in very active green leaf and iceberg markets; warm temperatures in late March increased growth, while current cooler weather is slowing plant maturity and causing a harvesting gap.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are sporadic; packer label is being substituted as needed
- Stem strawberry supplies are limited; stocks will remain tight through Mother’s Day
- Demand exceeds supply in all growing areas; prices continue to rise
- Volume is expected to increase the week of May 11, pending any abnormal weather patterns
Green Leaf and Iceberg Prices
- High temperatures during the beginning of the Salinas season matured plants faster than anticipated; recent cooler-than-normal temperatures are slowing plant growth, resulting in a harvesting gap
- Effective April 27, Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) Green Leaf prices increased to first-tier trigger levels; iceberg prices are rising
- Quality is very good
- Expect tight supplies and high prices for the next two weeks
- MFC Burbank and Norkotah Potatoes are available
- Large-size Idaho Burbank and Norkotah potatoes (40- through 70-count supplies) remain limited; small sizes (80- through 100-count stocks) are ample
- While the market has stabilized for now, prices for large-size potatoes will rise during the last couple months of the storage crop season; prices for small sizes should remain relatively steady, with slight fluctuations, for the rest of the season
- Sporadic Norkotah stocks will be available through the month of May; when supplies are depleted, Burbanks will be used to fill all orders through the end of that season
RSS Garlic Price Increase Reminder
- Domestic and Chinese peeled garlic supplies are limited
- RSS Peeled Garlic prices will increase May 1, 2015
- The market will remain elevated for the foreseeable future; new pricing will remain in effect through December 31, 2015
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.