Markon First Crop Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available and packer label are being substituted. Bruising, light decay, mildew, and soft texture are quality issues throughout the industry. The market will rise again by early next week.
- Prices continue to climb; demand exceeds supply
- Harvesting crews are heavily culling fields due to poor quality
- Bruising, light decay, mildew, overripeness, and soft texture are issues
- Overall berry size is decreasing; counts are averaging 27-30 berries per 1-pound clamshell
- Stemmed strawberries are extremely limited
- Color is red to dark red
- Expect prices to remain elevated through the end of the Salinas/Watsonville season
As always, maintaining the cold chain will be critical for maximizing shelf-life. Markon recommends ordering for quick turns.
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.