Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available (MBA) and packer label are being substituted in all growing regions. The storm that was forecast to hit the Santa Maria, California growing region this week did not develop. The region received only trace amounts of rain. Although harvesting has continued as normal, overall supplies remain tight due to hot, humid weather conditions from the passing tropical storm.
- The market is strong
- Quality will decline and supplies will diminish as the season comes to an end over the next few weeks
- Crops are transitioning south for the fall/winter months
- Labor is becoming tight as more crews move from harvesting to planting next season’s crop
- MBA Strawberries will be packed until the week of October 19; supplies will be sporadic the week of October 26
- Packer label will be available through October (pending rain)
- Santa Maria will become the primary growing region for MFC and MBA Strawberries at that time
- Prices are steady to slightly higher; demand is strong
- Harvesting crews are culling fruit for damaged/weakened berries
- Quality is better than that in Salinas/Watsonville, however the following are still concerns:
- Shortened shelf-life
- Soft texture
- Water damage
- Overall volume is low, but is expected to slowly increase over the next several weeks when the season progresses
- Expect elevated markets and limited supplies through the month of October
Oxnard and Mexico
- A few suppliers are harvesting the fall Oxnard crop; stocks are below Salinas/Watsonville and Santa Maria levels
- The market for new crop fruit is elevated; prices are slightly higher than those in Santa Maria
- Mexican supplies are expected to start crossing into the U.S. in early November
- Together, stocks from Oxnard and Mexico will help offset West Coast demand until the primary winter crop begins in late December
- MFC Strawberries are expected to be available at that time
Markon recommends ordering for quick turns to maximize shelf-life.
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.