UPDATE: Salinas Valley Prices
October 13, 2016
The combination of strong demand and a storm system moving into the Salinas Valley this weekend will push up commodity prices next week. As much as one inch of rain is forecast for Friday, October 14 through early Monday, October 17; expect harvesting delays and tight supplies.
Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Early October’s high temperatures increased growth, leaving fewer supplies available for current harvests
- Heat-related quality issues are reducing yields
- Cool weather and overcast skies are slowing growth
- Expect higher prices for the next two weeks
Iceberg and Leafy Greens
- Overall yields are high, but rain followed by the return of high temperatures by the end of next week will reduce supplies and impact quality
- Rain can cause quality problems such as increased mildew, pinking, and shortened shelf-life
- Iceberg harvests will start in Huron, California next week and run for three to four weeks
- Salinas Valley production will end in early to late November
- Growers will then transition to Yuma, Arizona
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.