UPDATE: Salinas Valley Prices
April 20, 2015
Prices remain elevated for most commodities in the Salinas Valley. Last week’s warm temperatures promoted growth, but this week’s light drizzle and cold temperatures will slowly reverse any progress made in green leaf, iceberg, and romaine. Demand will increase for Mother’s Day by the end of April, further tightening supplies. Expect elevated prices and strong demand for the next three to four weeks.
- Temperatures are expected to cool to the low to mid-60s this week
- Most growers are ahead of harvesting schedules by 10 to 14 days; cooler temperatures will cause a slight supply gap
- Demand will increase for Mother’s Day by the end of April, further decreasing stocks
- Quality problems such as light weights, low yields, and mildew pressure will diminish volume
- Expect elevated green leaf, iceberg, and romaine prices for the next three to four weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.