UPDATE: Salinas Valley Markets
August 04, 2015
After two weeks of near floor-level pricing across several commodities, many Salinas Valley markets will climb this week. Hot, humid conditions have disrupted harvesting schedules and advanced quality issues such as fringe burn, insect pressure, internal burn and seeder. Growers are ahead of scheduled iceberg production; supplies will be limited through early next week. Lower yields and strong school demand will increase broccoli, iceberg, romaine, and romaine heart prices.
- Prices are escalating and expected to reach the low- to mid teens this week
- Low yields are limiting supplies; pounds per acre have dropped due to quality issues
- Regional stocks are below normal due to adverse weather over the past 10 days
- Expect elevated markets into next week
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Iceberg is sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) will be substitued as needed
Romaine and Romaine Hearts
- Reduced regional supplies and strong demand will push up prices
- Fringe burn, internal burn, and mildew are sporadic problems
- High temperatures and drought-like conditions have increased insect pressure
- MFC Premium Romaine is available; supplies are meeting demand, but will decrease by early next week
- MFC Premium Romaine Hearts are available; prices are rising because high temperatures have caused seeder issues
Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Broccoli supplies are tight; increased school demand and lower regional production will keep markets elevated
- High temperatures have pushed fields ahead of schedule, reducing West Coast volume
- Overall quality is falling: branching, brown/purple bead, and hollow core are issues
- MFC Broccoli is sporadic; MBA will be substituted as necessary
- Cauliflower supplies are meeting demand; prices will remain stable through this week
- Quality is good in Salinas and Santa Maria
- Markon Essentials Cauliflower is available
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.