UPDATE: Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) Green Beans
December 18, 2015
Green bean supplies are limited, especially whole beans. Harvesting has been extremely hindered in Florida because of heavy rains. Mexican stocks are also tight due to rain and low temperatures. Strong holiday demand and limited supplies will keep prices elevated for several weeks.
- Orders of RSS Trimmed Green Bean are being kept to weekly averages
- Most orders are being filled, but if the situation worsens, some shortages may occur
- Excessive rain is causing decay, russeting, and water spots, further reducing yields
- Florida growers are culling damaged acreage; tight supplies will persist for approximately six weeks
- Longer, thinner French bean supplies (from Mexico and Guatemala) are sufficient and make ideal substitutes
- Mexican volume will increase in two to three weeks, easing prices a bit, but strong East Coast demand will keep prices elevated
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.