UPDATE: Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) Fresh-Cut Orange Products
September 11, 2015
The California drought continues to challenge California’s Valencia Orange crop and the quality of fresh-cut citrus.
- Internal hollow centers are a concern
- Fragmenting of the internal sections increases due to decreased moisture within the fruit
- Above-normal temperatures contribute to softness
- Fruit becomes more susceptible to breakdown
- Sourcing smaller sizes, when available, will help with the fragmenting of internal sections and overall quality
- Sections will be on the smaller end of the current specification, ranging from 0.75-1.0” width and 2.0-3.0” in length
- Expect 6-8 cut orange segments per piece of fruit when using 56- to 88-count sizes
- Cut segments will be closer to 8 pieces when using smaller fruit
Markon will continue to update members with any new information as it becomes available.
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.