UPDATE: Rain in Salinas Valley
November 02, 2015
Rain continues to fall in the Salinas Valley growing region and is expected to continue into early afternoon. Total rainfall will be over one inch when it finally concludes. Most harvesting has been canceled today.
- Limited supplies are forecast for the next several days as growers are not harvesting today
- Loading delays are expected tomorrow and Wednesday as a result of today’s heavy rains
- Harvesting will resume tomorrow, but production will be slow due to muddy field conditions
- Most commodity prices are rising as a result of the rain and the end of the Salinas Valley season
- Quality issues will also reduce yields and increase demand for stocks that are already diminishing towards the end of the season
- Mechanical damage, mildew, premature pinking, and shortened shelf-life are expected in lettuce and leaf crops due to the rain
- Markon inspectors will be working with harvesting crews to make sure cartons are kept as clean and as dry as possible
- Markon will continue to update on the state of the market, supply levels, and quality effects from this storm system
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.