Washington pear growers will continue to pack storage crop fruit through mid-June. Washington suppliers report approximately 1.6 million cartons remain available for the rest of the season, down from 2.2 million cartons at this time last year. Remaining stocks are dominated by large fruit (80- and 90-count sizes). Smaller sizes (120- and 135-count stocks) are extremely limited as a result. Expect pear suppliers to offer 100- and 110-count sizes as a substitution for 120- and 135-count sizes through the rest of the Washington season. Prices for large sizes will remain steady, while the market for small fruit will continue to increase. The California season is forecast to begin in late July.
- Quality is excellent
- US No. 1 grade pear supplies are ample; fancy grade stocks are limited
- New crop Bartlett and red pears will become available in mid-August
- Direct loading will be available in Lodi, Finley, and Exeter
- Product can also be consolidated at 4Earth Farms in Los Angeles
- Pear orchards are past bloom; fruit has begun to form on trees
- Industry estimates will be available in June
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.