Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions from California and New Mexico will remain on the market through mid-August. Markon does not anticipate a supply gap as the industry transitions to the Northwestern regions early next month. Strong export demand and rain in both California and New Mexico will cause inventories to tighten. Price increases will be temporary and markets will stabilize toward the end of next week when weather improves and supplies increase.
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will start shipping the week of August 24
- Limited quantities of packer label transplants will be on the market as early as next week
- Because weather has been abnormally warm this growing season, shelf-life will be short
- The crop is dominated by medium-size onions
- As supplies are fresh run at this stage, texture is not yet firm and skins are feathery
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be on the market the week of August 10
- Acreage is comparable to last season
- High temperatures during the growing season can stress the crop, causing small size
- Colossal and super colossal sizes are expected to be limited
- Markon will update as the growing season progresses
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will start shipping the week of August 3
- It is too early to assess yields accurately, but Markon will update over the next several weeks
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be on the market the week of August 3
- Acreage is higher than last season
- Markon anticipates a normal size profile for all colors
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.