Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions will be shipped out of Southern California through May 31. Harvesting in Central California and New Mexico has begun; yellow onion supplies will increase next week. Expect red onion shipments out of Central California and New Mexico to increase at the end of next week. This transition has created a demand-exceeds-supply market, pushing up prices for red, yellow, and white onions. The market will stabilize in mid-June once both the Central California and New Mexico seasons are in full swing.
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be available in Southern California through the end of the month; packer label stocks will be shipped through the end of next week
- Quality is good: skins are not quite so flaky at this time of the season
- Fresh-run onions still possess spongier texture and lighter color compared to the Northwest storage onions shipped through the fall and winter months
- Limited yellow onion shipments will begin in Central California on Monday, May 30; red variety shipments will follow a few days later
- MFC Yellow Onions will become available June 1; MFC Red Onion supplies will increase the week of June 6
- Overall acreage is slightly higher this season and yields are above average levels; expect adequate supplies this season
- Onions grown in New Mexico will be spongier in texture and lighter in color compared to storage onions from the Northwest
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.