The Northwest onion season in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington will run through early May. Excessive heat and rain during last summer’s growing period decreased the quality of both yellow and red onions. While sporadic stocks from Mexico continue crossing into Texas, the domestic season has only just begun. Yellow onions are in full production; red and white supplies remain limited. Full harvesting will begin in California the week of April 25. Expect comparable prices into May with supplies available in multiple areas.
As a general reminder, fresh-run onions of all colors that are shipped out of California, New Mexico, and Texas possess flakier skins, spongier texture, and lighter color compared to Northwest storage onions.
Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and Washington
- Storage supplies of Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions will diminish by early May
- MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be shipped through early May
- Packer label white stocks will be available until the end of this month
- Expect lower quality in storage shipments
- Growers predict more translucent scales in yellow varieties than in years past, due to the hot weather during the summer growing cycle
- Internal decay, occasional mold, and sprouting are anticipated this time of the year, especially in red onions
- Packer label red, yellow, and white onion varieties are crossing the border and shipping out of Texas
- Due to inconsistent weather patterns scattered throughout growing regions, supplies remain sporadic
- Overall acreage is comparable to recent seasons
- MFC Yellow Onions are available
- Red and white stocks sporadic
- Mexican red and white supplies can be substituted
- Early estimates indicate planted acreage is approximately 20% lower than last year; this continues to be a year-over-year trend
- Texas-grown onion stocks will be available through mid-May
- As a reminder, a Texas state marketing order prevents the shipment of No. 2 grade onions; Markon will continue sourcing No. 2 grade onions from the Northwest until the Southern California season starts later this month
- MFC Yellow Onions will become available the week of April 25; MFC Red Onions will be on the market the week of May 2
- Southern California acreage is comparable to previous years
- The region continues to experience ideal weather conditions; crop growth is ahead of schedule
- Yields are anticipated to be higher than last year
- MFC Onions will become available the week of June 6
- Markon will update overall acreage levels in the upcoming weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.