Markon First Crop (MFC) Onions are available in Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. Limited quantities of packer label Mexican onions (into South Texas) are available now. Markon will send recommendations regarding whether to purchase in the Northwest or in South Texas/Mexico; factors include quality, supply, price levels, and members’ distribution centers’ geographic locations.
• MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be available through the end of the February
• This year’s crop is dominated by medium and jumbo sizes
• MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be available through late April/early May
• Ample supplies will keep prices at low levels through the rest of the storage season
• Storage supplies have solid texture, globe-like shape, dry flaky husks, and zesty, peppery flavor
• MFC Red and Yellow Onions will be shipped through April
• The crop is dominated by jumbo and medium sizes
• Storage supplies are holding up well during the midway point of the season; reports of sprouting and breakdown are minimal
• As in Eastern Oregon, Idaho, and Washington, prices remain low
• MFC Red and Yellow Onions from Texas will be on the market by mid- to late April
• Very limited quantities of both sweet and conventional yellow onions from Mexico (into Texas) are available now; stocks will increase next week
o Red onions will be on the market by the week of February 23
o White stocks are available now
• Spring onions are milder in flavor and lighter in color than storage stocks from the Northwest
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.