Summer cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon supplies are plentiful in California’s San Joaquin Valley; production is also taking place in regional areas throughout the East Coast. Prices will remain stable for several weeks during this peak harvesting period. Quality is excellent.
Cantaloupe and Honeydew
- Markon First Crop Cantaloupe and Honeydew are available to load direct in California’s San Joaquin Valley or can be consolidated to 4Earth Farms in Los Angeles
- Westside melons, named for being grown on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley, are popular for extremely sweet flavor, longer shelf-life, and vibrant external and internal color
- Melons must meet minimum Brix levels to be harvested from this region (cantaloupe 9% and honeydew 8%); Brix is a density scale indicating the percentage of sugar
- Westside varieties are exceeding these levels, averaging 12%, creating extra sweet and refreshing flavor
- Production of seedless melons has increased to meet summer demand; seeded varieties are limited
- Prices are steady; supplies are sufficient
- Watermelons are the most widely grown melon in the United States; Florida, Georgia, and California rank as the top three producers
- Quality is excellent: fruit is sweet and juicy (12% Brix)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.