Cantaloupe and honeydew prices are easing, especially for small sizes. Offshore supplies from Guatemala are available on both coasts. Mexican cantaloupe and honeydew production has started; California and Arizona stocks will be available in early May. Expect sufficient supplies and steady prices for several weeks.
Cantaloupe and Honeydew
- Offshore stocks (into California, Florida, and Texas) will be available through May
- Mexican honeydew is plentiful; cantaloupe production is increasing
- The Arizona/California desert cantaloupe season will start by May 1; honeydew production will begin by May 8
- The San Joaquin Valley season will start in late June; volume will increase by early July
- Expect prices to rise in late May when the offshore season ends
- Quality is excellent in all areas
- Flavor is sweet; sugar levels range from 11 to 14 Brix
- High prices persist, but are starting to inch down
- Mexico is the main supply source at this time; production has increased from northern regions
- Offshore production is winding down; most supplies are only available on the East Coast
- Domestic spring harvesting will start over the next few weeks in Arizona, California, Florida, and Texas
- Quality has improved; sugar levels range from 9 to 10 Brix
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.