The first shipments of offshore cantaloupes and honeydews from Guatemala will be arriving in Florida over the next two weeks. Supplies will be on the West Coast market by early December. Domestic production will end in the Arizona/California desert region by late November. Cantaloupe and honeydew melons are available from Mexico, but will decrease to low supply levels by early December. Expect markets to rise over the next several weeks as supplies diminish.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Cantaloupe and Honeydew Melons will be available through November 26, 2016
- MFC supplies will be unavailable through the winter season as production fully transitions to regions in Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico
- They will become available again in April 2017 during the spring/summer domestic season
- Prices will inch up over the next two weeks as domestic supplies wind down and demand shifts to offshore fruit
- The first inbound vessels are set to arrive in Florida by November 15
- Large-size melons will dominate supplies while growers harvest early season crops
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.