Lime prices continue to climb as industry supplies decrease. The past weekend’s rain has shortened production hours and reduced shipments into South Texas. Labor shortages due to the holiday season and additional wet weather forecast over the next ten days will impact price and supply levels through the end of the month.
- Markon First Crop Limes are available from Mexico (loading in McAllen, Texas)
- Increased demand and tighter supplies will push prices higher over the next two to three weeks
- Demand is strongest for medium sizes (200- to 230-count supplies)
- Limited labor, due to holiday observances, will reduce production through the end of December
- The rain that is forecast over the next ten days will further limit production windows and challenge growers to meet industry demand
- Current quality is excellent, but as supplies diminish, fruit will require more sorting for issues such as discoloration and scarring
- Prices will return to low levels by early January, once demand subsides and labor returns to normal levels
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.