Lime prices will rise over the next two weeks due to holiday demand. Rain is forecast in Veracruz, Mexico, the primary growing region for limes, over the next 5 to 10 days. The rain and limited labor through the new year are expected to increase price levels through the end of the month.
- Markon First Crop Limes are available from Mexico (loading in McAllen, Texas)
- Demand will strengthen as the holiday season approaches; expect prices to rise over the next two weeks
- Labor shortages through the holiday season will reduce supplies crossing into South Texas
- Large sizes (110- to 150-count limes) will dominate the crop
- Demand is stronger for medium sizes (200- to 230-count supplies)
- Current quality is excellent, but as supplies diminish, fruit will require more sorting for issues such as discoloration and scarring
- Prices will return to low levels by early January, once demand subsides and labor returns to normal levels
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.