Markon First Crop (MFC) and Markon Essentials (ESS) Lemons are sporadic; packer label is being substituted as needed. Small sizes (140-, 165-, and 200-count fruit) are extremely tight. Markets remain fairly stable, but availability is very limited. California’s production is winding down in the southern coastal regions; the new crop Arizona/California desert season is slowly ramping up. Chilean and Mexican lemons are helping fill the void and will be substituted as needed. Markon recommends ordering for quick turns and ordering a grade higher for best quality.
- MFC and ESS Lemons are sporadic; packer label is being substituted as needed
- Domestic stocks remain tight; small sizes are extremely limited
- Late-season fruit is dominated by large sizes, which is not ideal for foodservice
- Packer label Chilean and Mexican supplies are being used to fill orders, especially 140-, 165-, and 200-count sizes
- More quality issues are present this time of year due to harsher growing conditions and fewer supplies on the market
- Expect more external defects such as inconsistent color, oil spotting, scales, and scarring as well as occasional decay and mold issues
- Click here for photos of external defects: scarring, scale, inconsistent color, and oil spotting
- Fruit will have a shorter shelf-life compared to stocks grown in the winter and spring months
- Markon recommends ordering for quick turns and a grade higher for best quality
- The new crop Arizona/California desert season is off to a slow start, but is ramping up
- Rain showers delayed harvests earlier in the season
- Fruit typically requires extended periods of time for gassing to deepen fruit color
- These extended gassing days and high desert temperatures may decrease quality and shorten shelf-life
- Flexibility on sizes, grades, loading dates, and pick up locations may be necessary through October to ensure order coverage
- Supplies are expected to increase by early November when temperatures cool and California’s San Joaquin Valley season gets underway
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.