The 2016 Idaho potato harvest is complete. Typically, when harvests have ended, growers hold back shipments to push up prices. However, with this year’s large crop and the Thanksgiving retail pull beginning in early November, carton prices will remain relatively steady, even weaken depending on demand.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Norkotah Potatoes are readily available; limited supplies of packer label Burbanks are also on the market
- MFC Burbank Potatoes will begin shipping from storage the week of October 31
- MFC Burbank potato stocks are held in storage sheds until the sweat process is complete
- Burbank potatoes are finishing the sweat process to shed excess moisture after being harvested
- After the sweat process is complete, skins will have a smooth, net-like appearance
- Strong demand for the Thanksgiving holiday typically begins in early November
- Additional raw product is needed to produce orders for retail bags
- The byproduct of producing retail bags is larger sizes are made available for foodservice cartons
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.