Reports from Idaho potato growers indicate that harvests will be complete by the end of this week. Growers will soon have control of supply levels and will hold back shipments to push prices above the low levels seen for the past several weeks. Demand will exceed supply. Markon requests that members place orders three to five days earlier than their normal patterns to ensure fulfillment.
Once the Thanksgiving pull begins in early November, carton prices will begin to decline as growers will need more raw product to produce orders for retail bags. Producing more retail bags means more large-size potatoes are packed into cartons, creating a supply-exceeds-demand situation for foodservice.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Norkotah Potatoes are readily available
- Limited supplies of packer label Burbanks are also on the market
- MFC Burbank Potato stocks will be placed in storage sheds until the sweat process is complete
- Burbank stocks will undergo the sweat process to shed excess moisture after being harvested
- The process lasts approximately three to four weeks or until the outer skin is cured sufficiently
- After the sweat process is complete, skins will have a smooth, net-like appearance
- MFC Burbank Potatoes will begin shipping from storage the week of October 31
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.