Prices for 40- to 80-count Markon First Crop Idaho Norkotah Potatoes will fall over the next week as growers increase production. Markon will adjust prices for this week’s shipments. By the end of this week, Norkotahs will be the sole variety on the market as Burbank supplies will be depleted. Please contact your Markon customer service representative regarding the management of purchase orders.
The new crop Idaho Burbank harvest has begun and will be available for shipment in October. New crop Burbanks must go through the sweat process in order to shed excess moisture after being harvested. The sweat process lasts approximately three to four weeks or until potatoes cure sufficiently. After the process is complete, skins will have a smooth, net-like appearance.
2016-2017 New Crop Norkotahs
- Temperatures have been ideal during the growth phase; suppliers expect very good quality and high yields
- Fresh-run potatoes will be on the market for the first few months of the season; ordering for quick turns is recommended
- Store potatoes at 40 to 50 degrees F/4.4 to 10 degrees C; adequate air flow is recommended
- Product should not be wrapped tightly in plastic nor stored where it cannot breathe well
- New crop supplies have not gone through the sweat process yet; potatoes may release moisture as they cool, causing a very light, white surface residue that can be easily brushed off and does not pose any quality problems
- Click here for a picture of new crop Norkotah potatoes and here for new crop Norkotah cooler mildew
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.