Idaho Burbank storage supplies are nearly depleted. The quality of remaining Burbank stocks is fair, at best. New crop, fresh-run packer label Norkotahs are the predominant variety on the market. Markon First Crop Norkotah Potatoes will be available the week of August 23.
2016-2017 New Crop Supplies
- As both new and storage crop stocks are available, prices for new crop No. 1 cartons are expected to be higher than those for storage crop supplies
- Temperatures have been ideal during the growth phase; very good quality and high yields are predicted
- Fresh-run potatoes will be on the market for the first few months of the season; ordering for quick turns is recommended
- Store potatoes at 40 to 50 degrees F/4.4 to 10 degrees C; adequate air flow is recommended
- Product should not be wrapped tightly in plastic nor stored where it cannot breathe well
- New crop supplies have not gone through the sweat process yet
- Potatoes may release moisture as they cool, causing a very light, white surface residue that can be easily brushed off and does not pose any quality problems
- Click here to see a photo of the white residue.
Storage Crop Quality
- During the summer of the 2015-2016 growing season, Idaho experienced record-high temperatures, as well as sudden shifts to freezing weather; these factors have caused inconsistent size and sporadic quality issues in the remaining storage crop
- Pressure bruising (soft indentations) is a result of pressure at points of contact with adjacent potatoes or the floor while potatoes sit in storage sheds
- Air checks, which are caused by dehydration, become more prevalent this time of the year; larger cuts are called air cracks and can be caused by mechanical damage
- Pressure bruising will be seen occasionally in the White Russet variety, however there will be far fewer internal black spots than the Burbank variety due to their genetic makeup
- Markon will continue to gather weekly quality reports and update members on a regular basis
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.