Idaho Norkotah potato supplies are depleted. The Burbank variety will be shipped for the rest of the 2015-2016 season (June/July) until new crop, field-run Norkotahs become available in late July. Remaining Idaho Burbank stocks will be dominated by small potatoes (80- through 100-count sizes); large supplies (40- through 70-count sizes) are limited.
White Russet storage stocks will be on the market through mid-July. Remaining stocks are dominated by small sizes (80- through 100- count potatoes); large sizes (40- through 70-count potatoes) are limited.
Prices are expected to remain relatively steady, with slight fluctuations, through the end of the season.
Storage Crop Quality
- During the summer 2015-2016 growing season, Idaho experienced record-high temperatures, as well as sudden shifts to freezing weather; these factors are causing inconsistent size and sporadic quality issues in the storage crop
- Pressure bruising (soft indentations) is a result of pressure at points of contact with adjacent potatoes or the floor while potatoes sit in storage sheds
- Air checks, which are caused by dehydration, become more prevalent this time of the year; larger cuts are called air cracks and can be caused by mechanical damage
- Pressure bruising will be occasionally seen in the White Russet variety, however there will be far fewer internal black spots than the Burbank variety due to their genetic makeup
- Markon will continue to gather weekly quality reports and update members on a regular basis
2016-2017 New Crop
- Potato planting for the 2016 storage crop season is complete
- Weather has been ideal
- Growing regions have experienced some cold, damp weather, but in general temperatures have been warm
- No quality concerns have been reported
- New crop harvesting of fresh-run potato shipments will begin in late July early August
- Storage crop harvests will start in early September and continue through most of October; suppliers will begin to ship out of storage in early October
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.