This year’s Idaho potato harvesting is now complete. Thanksgiving demand will strengthen this week. Carton prices are expected to decrease as raw product will be needed to run orders for retail bags. The byproduct of producing retail bags is larger sizes being packed into cartons, e.g. creating a supply exceeds demand situation for foodservice potatoes.
- Large sizes (40- through 70-count supplies) dominate the crop
- Small sizes (90- through 100-count stocks) remain limited due to the large crop size profile; growers will use small-size potatoes to fill retail bag orders during the Thanksgiving pull
- No. 2 supplies will increase as growers ramp up production to meet holiday demand
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Norkotah Potatoes are available
- Limited quantities of MFC Burbank Potatoes are on the market; volume will rise as more supplies complete the sweat process
Northwest Freight Outlook
Christmas tree hauling season will take place over the next few weeks; farmers will ship trees through the second week of December. Increased demand for trucks will cause freight rates to rise and remain elevated through late December/early January.
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.