UPDATE: Iceberg Lettuce Market
June 01, 2016
The iceberg market continues to be very active. Prices are rising; demand is strong.
- Prices will reach the high teens this week
- This spring’s abnormally cool temperatures continue to tighten supplies and lower yields
- Processor demand is extremely strong due to lower-than-normal weights
- Hot weather is expected by the end of this week; temperatures are expected to reach as high as the mid-90s in the warmest areas of the Salinas Valley
- The heat will increase carton weights
- Dehydration, growth cracking, and internal/external burn issues are expected to develop by early next week
- Elevated prices will persist through next week
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.