Expect higher prices next week. Production levels are forecast at average levels, but demand is strong and quality problems are lowering yields.
- Markon First Crop Premium Iceberg Lettuce is sporadic due to low carton weights; Markon Best Available is being substituted as needed
- This week’s hot weather has aided growth, but production remains at/or below projections
- Harvesting crews are culling product due to inconsistent size and shape
- Quality issues such as growth cracking, insect pressure, light mildew, and wind damage are reducing volume
- Processor demand is becoming stronger as schools go back into session
- Production is decreasing from regional sources due to seasonal declines and inclement weather, adding to West Coast demand
- Many heads have light ash present on outer leaves from the Soberanes Wildfire burning north of Big Sur near the Salinas Valley growing region; ash deposited by wildfires is non-toxic and not considered a food safety hazard
- Expect limited stocks and active prices for several weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.