The iceberg lettuce market is escalating; prices are in the low twenties. Ready-Set-Serve Iceberg salad blends could reach trigger levels early next week. The market is expected to continue to rise.
- Persistent hot, humid temperatures in the Salinas Valley are causing quality issues and reducing yields
- Fringe burn, inconsistent texture, insect pressure, internal burn, long core/seeder, mildew, and weak tip are quality problems affecting yields, carton weights, and shelf-life potential
- Harvesting crews are removing outer damaged leaves
- Processor demand is strong; growers must harvest more to meet bin weight requirements
- Many schools are back in session, increasing demand
- Regional yields are below normal due to inclement weather
- Quality issues will persist through August; abnormally warm, humid weather is forecast
- Markon First Crop Premium Iceberg is limited; Markon Best Available will be substituted as needed
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.