UPDATE: Hurricane Seymour
October 24, 2016
With Seymour strengthening into a hurricane in the Pacific, rainfall is expected towards the end of the week in the Salinas Valley, Huron, and Santa Maria, California (see image below). Increased moisture is anticipated to last through the weekend, potentially disrupting green leaf, iceberg, romaine, and strawberry harvests. If California crops are subject to heavy rain, stocks will tighten and prices will escalate.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Iceberg stocks are sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) will be substituted as necessary
- Current stocks are adequate and prices are low, yet this is subject to change (pending weather)
- Harvesting continues to take place in both Salinas and Huron, California but with an 80% chance of rain in Salinas this Thursday, October 27 and a 70% possibility of rain in Huron on Friday, October 28 and Saturday, October 29, supplies could become limited next week
Green Leaf and Romaine
- MFC Premium Green Leaf and Romaine are sporadic; MBA will be substituted as necessary
- Supply and demand remain in sync; however, severe rainfall could cause these markets to escalate
- Some mildew is present on outer leaves, but heads will be trimmed and sorted for best quality
- MFC Strawberries are not available; MBA and packer label will be substituted as necessary
- Demand exceeds supply following last week’s heat wave and recent rainfall; prices are rising
- The primary growing region of Santa Maria is forecast to receive up to 1.5” of rain Thursday, October 27 and Friday, October 28
- Stocks will be extremely limited through October 30 and possibly non-existent by Wednesday, November 2 due to the rain
- The storm will have a significant impact on the entire industry’s volume as Santa Maria is the primary growing region; other areas such as Florida, Mexico, and Oxnard, California will start production in two to three weeks
to view the location of Hurricane Seymour.
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.