UPDATE: Heat Damage in Strawberry Crops
September 28, 2016
Please click here to view a Markon Live from the Fields video about quality and supply issues in strawberry crops caused by a recent heat spike in the Salinas and Watsonville, California growing regions.
- Markon First Crop Strawberries are not available; Markon Best Available is being substituted temporarily
- Temperatures in the Salinas and Watsonville growing regions have climbed as high as 101 degrees over the last three days (click here and here to view the damaged strawberries)
- Strawberries are particularly sensitive to excessive heat, especially berries that are directly exposed for long periods
- Not all fruit is damaged, but yields will fall due to higher cull rates
- The hot weather is also expected to cause soft texture and reduce berry size; fruit ripens faster than it grows after heat spikes
- Markon inspectors are monitoring quality closely and will update further as needed
- Click here for another picture of strawberries with sun burn
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.