UPDATE: Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine
September 07, 2016
Temperatures for the Salinas Valley are forecast in the 80s; in some inland areas, they will rise into the 90s and triple digits. The heat spike is only expected to last for the next few days; temperatures will drop by the end of this week. Increased plantings this season and moderate demand will keep prices steady.
- Raw product is exhibiting occasional mildew; Markon inspectors are monitoring quality very closely and will report any changes
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Green Leaf is sporadic; Markon Best Available (MBA) will be substituted as necessary
- Supplies are sufficient for the upcoming weeks; the market is stable
- Regional yields remain adequate; demand is moderate on the West Coast
- Expect to see more growth cracking through next week due to inconsistent weather
- MFC Premium Iceberg Lettuce is available
- More fringe burn (located on the outer and top portions of the head as well as inside the head) may result from the hot weather
- Overall stocks should remain sufficient for the next few weeks
- MFC Premium Romaine is sporadic; MBA will be substituted as needed
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.