UPDATE: Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine
April 28, 2016
Erratic weather, quality issues, and strong demand are causing lettuce and leafy green prices to escalate. Limited supplies and rising markets are expected through next week.
- Many fields have been ahead of harvesting schedules by 7-14 days
- This was caused by warm weather increasing growth and causing a supply surplus the last several weeks
- Lower temperatures now are conversely slowing growth, causing supplies to tighten
- Quality issues such as fringe burn, growth cracking, inconsistent head density, insect pressure, and mildew are reducing yields and carton weights and reducing the number of overall cartons on the market
- Yesterday’s light rain will prolong mildew and premature pinking issues
- Demand is strong for the Mother’s Day holiday
- Green leaf, iceberg, and romaine prices are reaching the high teens and are expected to reach the 20s by next week
- Expect tight stocks and elevated markets for the next several weeks
- Markon will continue to update as necessary regarding prices, quality, and supply levels
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.