Markon First Crop (MFC) Lunch Bunch Grapes are not available; packer label will be substituted until new crop Chilean supplies hit the market in mid-February. The California grape season is ending; limited quantities of red seedless storage stocks remain on the market. New crop Chilean green seedless fruit is available. Prices are climbing as the industry transitions from California to Chilean product.
- The California green seedless season has ended
- New crop Chilean supplies in the Sugraone variety are on the market
o Berry size is large and shape is elongated (11/16 to 12/16)
o Flavor is tart; sugar levels measure approximately 17 Brix
o This market will be higher than California prices
- California Crimson variety storage supplies will be shipped through this week
o Quality is good and flavor is sweet; sugar levels are approximately 20 Brix
o Berry size ranges from large to extra-large (12/16)
o Prices will be slightly higher than normal while growers transition to Chilean fruit
- New crop Chilean Flame stocks will begin shipping the week of January 12
o Limited quantities are starting to hit the market
o Berry size will be large and shape will be round (11/16 to 12/16)
o Flavor is tart, but sugar levels will increase
o This market will be slightly higher than current California prices
- California-grown MFC Lunch Bunch Grapes are not available; storage supplies are not meeting MFC specifications, so packer label is being substituted
o Quality is good: light mold and nesting are problems typical in late-season storage grapes
o Flavor is sweet; sugar levels are approximately 20 Brix
o Prices are stable
- New crop Chilean packer label Lunch Bunch grapes will start shipping the week of January 19
- MFC Lunch Bunch Grapes from Chile will be on the market by mid-February
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.