Record amounts of rain received over the past few days in South Texas has halted grapefruit harvest. Remaining supplies will be inconsistent with most shippers finishing by the end of the week. California grapefruit is on the market; supplies are adequate. Markon recommends moving grapefruit purchases to California starting next week.
- Rain in South Texas has halted harvest, the season is expected to finish by the end of the week
- Remaining supplies will be limited
- Quality is good on pre-harvested fruit
- Flavor is sweet
- Sugar levels average 10 Brix
- Good supplies of Star Ruby grapefruit are on the market
- Internal color is bright ruby red
- Flavor is sweet-tart; sugar levels range from 10.5 to 11 Brix
- Markets are stable but expected to rise as demand moves from Texas to California
- Summer Ruby grapefruit varieties will start in early July
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.