The fall harvesting transition from the Salinas Valley to Huron, California (the San Joaquin Valley region) will begin in a limited way next week. Some growers of iceberg have elected to stay longer in Salinas and start earlier in Yuma, Arizona to avoid the Huron growing region due to high water costs. Green leaf and romaine growers will remain in Salinas until the industry makes the full transition to Yuma in late November.
Green leaf, iceberg, and romaine prices are beginning to rise as supplies wind down in Salinas and demand for West Coast vegetables increases. Markon predicts elevated markets and limited supplies through the transitional period.
Below are approximate transition dates (subject to change):
Week of October 19
- Limited harvesting of Markon First Crop (MFC) Premium Iceberg will start in Huron
- Transfers from Huron to Salinas will be available (transfer fees apply)
- MFC Premium Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine will continue to be harvested in Salinas
Week of October 26 and November 2
- More MFC Premium Iceberg will be harvested in Huron
- Limited quantities of MFC Premium Iceberg will remain available in Salinas
- Transfers from Huron to Salinas will remain available (transfer fees apply)
- MFC Premium Green Leaf and Romaine will continue to be harvested in Salinas
Week of November 9 and November 16
- MFC Premium Green Leaf, Iceberg, and Romaine will be available in Yuma and Coachella, California
- MFC Premium Iceberg will remain available in Huron
- Transfers to Salinas from Yuma and Huron will be options (transfer fees apply)
Week of November 23
- Processors of Ready-Set-Serve (RSS) salads, RSS Washed & Trimmed items, and cello-wrapped products are scheduled to begin processing and loading in Yuma
- 100% of Markon commodity and processed items will be harvested and loaded out of the Yuma, Arizona/California desert growing region
- MFC Celery will be harvested from both Oxnard and Coachella (transfers to Yuma are available)
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.