Expect active prices for domestic melons over the next two weeks as the Imperial Desert season comes to an end. California Westside melons (grown on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley stretching from Bakersfield to Turlock, California) will be available by July 4. Growers will transition north to Bakersfield through late June. Mexican honeydew melons (crossing into Nogales, Arizona) are available year round, although warm temperatures will keep supplies tight. Strong demand for domestic fruit will push prices higher through late June.
- Markon First Crop (MFC) Cantaloupe Melons are available in Arizona and California
- Large sizes (9- to 12-count fruit) will dominate supplies; smaller sizes will be limited
- Quality is excellent: sugar levels range from 12 to 15 Brix
- MFC Honeydew Melons are available
- Large sizes (5- to 6-count supplies) will dominate the crop; smaller sizes will be limited
- Quality is excellent: sugar levels range from 10 to 11 Brix
- Wind scarring will be a sporadic issue for the rest of the Imperial season, but will subside as production transitions north into the San Joaquin Valley
- Domestic crops will command higher prices than imported supplies as the import season finishes
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.