Markon First Crop (MFC) Cantaloupe and Honeydew Melons are available in California’s Imperial Valley. Quality is excellent. Large sizes (9-count cantaloupe and 5-count honeydew melons) will dominate supplies while the season ramps up. The desert season will reach its peak by May 30 and produce through early July. Westside melons (grown on the western side of the San Joaquin Valley stretching from Bakersfield to Turlock, California) will be harvested in Bakersfield, California on June 25 and run through mid-October. Expect stable prices as domestic supplies increase over the next two weeks.
- MFC Cantaloupe and MFC Honeydew Melons are available in Arizona and California
- Large sizes (9-count cantaloupe and 5-count honeydew melons) will dominate supplies over the next 10 days
- Color is vibrant and sugar content is high, ranging from 11 to 14 Brix
- MFC Melons are only available during the Arizona/California seasons, which typically run from May through October
- Growers will begin harvesting in Bakersfield and Huron in late June; production will start on the western side of the San Joaquin Valley in early July
- Athena variety cantaloupes are available in Central Florida
- The rain that is forecast over the next week will limit availability and reduce sugar levels
- Production will move to Georgia by May 25 and run through early July
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.