UPDATE: Desert Region Rain
January 04, 2016
In anticipation of today’s rain, most Markon suppliers harvested over the weekend. This prepacking will ensure that today’s orders will be covered; loading delays are expected to be minimal tonight. More rain is forecast through the week, with heaviest amounts expected on Tuesday night and late Thursday/early Friday. Total precipitation is estimated to range from .50” to .75” by Friday evening.
- Because the majority of suppliers canceled harvests today, loading delays are expected for tomorrow’s shipments
- Weather challenges are expected all week; growers will pack ahead when possible
- Epidermal blistering and peeling are problems that the rain will compound
- Other rain-related quality problems include:
- Excessive dirt/mud
- High respiration rates/reduced shelf-life (in value-added packs)
- Mechanical damage
- Premature pinking
- Expect prices to rise as supplies tighten due to limited harvesting hours and reduced yields
- Markon inspectors will be working with harvesting crews to keep cartons as clean and dry as possible
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.