UPDATE: Cucumbers and Squash
September 01, 2016
Cucumber and squash prices are escalating; high temperatures in the Michigan growing region over the past six weeks has pushed crops ahead of schedule and reduced yields for this time of the season. Growers in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Tennessee will ramp up new crop production over the next two weeks. Hurricane Hermine is expected to create significant loading delays and limit supplies; the wet weather will create quality concerns and reduce yields over the next several weeks. West Coast prices are climbing as demand shifts to this area.
- Markon First Crop Yellow Squash and Zucchini are available in California
- Cucumber and squash supplies are extremely limited in California, Michigan, and Tennessee
- The market will rise over the next 7 to 10 days; demand exceeds supply in all regions
- Extreme weather in growing conditions across the East Coast will tighten stocks for two to three weeks
- Quality issues will include bruising, decay, scarring, and wind damage
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.