UPDATE: Cold Weather in Mexico
February 02, 2016
Cold temperatures and high winds are forecast for the growing areas in the Mexican state of Sonora tonight and tomorrow. Night temperatures could fall near freezing in some valley locations along with 20 to 30 mph winds and occasional gusts over 40 mph.
- The majority of yellow squash and zucchini is being grown in Guaymas and Los Mochis in Sonora, Mexico
- Other items, including corn, cucumbers, green beans, and green bell peppers, are grown a bit further south
- Cold temperatures will slow production, tightening supplies by the middle of this week
- High winds will damage current blooms, causing possible shortages in early March
- Temperatures will return to optimum levels by this weekend, which will help boost production
- Limited East Coast supplies continue to strengthen demand in Mexico
- Expect elevated prices and tight stocks for most of February, especially for squash
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2016 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.