UPDATE: Cold Weather in Eastern Idaho
November 30, 2015
Extremely low temperatures are forecast for Eastern Idaho on Tuesday, December 1 and Wednesday, December 2, 2015. The cold weather will affect potato production and delay loading times.
- Temperatures need to be 18 degrees or warmer for five to seven hours of the day to haul potatoes to packing sheds
- If low temperatures persist, packing hours may be reduced (for example, from eight to four hours)
- Loading delays are likely due to short production windows, however it is difficult to gauge how severe the situation will get at this point
- Growers do not ship potatoes to packing sheds when temperatures are below 18 degrees because that can cause internal and external bruising as well as black skins and flesh (located on the outer edges of potatoes and just under their skins)
- Prices will increase over the next week if cold temperatures and short run times persist
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.