UPDATE: California Strawberries
May 21, 2015
Markon First Crop (MFC) Strawberries are available; Markon Best Available (MBA) is being substituted as needed. Last week’s light showers in Santa Maria and Salinas/Watsonville, California did not have a significant impact on supply levels. Prices are easing; stocks have increased and demand has weakened. Markon’s May strawberry promotion will end Saturday, May 23. The market is expected to remain steady to slightly lower than promotional rates, making a smooth transition back to open-market prices. Expect two-tiered pricing between the Salinas/Watsonville and Santa Maria growing regions with the Santa Maria market being slightly lower.
- MFC Strawberries are available; MBA is being substituted as needed
- Salinas/Watsonville is the primary growing region
- Quality is excellent; size is large
- Supplies are ample
- Prices are easing
- Santa Maria supplies were impacted by last week’s rain, but volume remains high
- Light water damage is being reported in some lots
- Overall quality is good; size is medium to medium-plus
- The market is declining quickly
- Growers in both Santa Maria and Watsonville are sending extra berries to processors due to a declining market
- Processing prices are currently higher than those for fresh market commodity packs
- The fresh market will inch up as more supplies go to processors
- Prices are expected to rebound in the coming weeks
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.