UPDATE: California Strawberries
April 29, 2015
Markon First Crop Strawberries are sporadic; packer label is being substituted as needed. This weekend’s rain in Santa Maria and Salinas/Watsonville, California slowed harvesting. The cooler weather expected through next week will inhibit growth; berry color will take longer to deepen. Demand exceeds supply in all growing areas; prices continue to rise. Volume is expected to increase the week of May 11, pending any abnormal weather patterns.
- Cool temperatures through next week will slow growth
- Both 2/4-pound and 8/1-pound packs are available
- Stem strawberry supplies are limited
- Stocks will remain tight through Mother’s Day
- Demand exceeds supply; prices continue to rise
- Bruising and light water damage are concerns
- Lead time is recommended to ensure order coverage
Please contact your Markon customer service representative for more information.
©2015 Markon Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.